Monday, May 3, 2010

Cutting the material

I usually cut all of my material before starting any sewing. As with cutting out templates I like to spend one or two nights tracing and cutting the material ready for tacking onto the templates.

This is just my personal preference so it is up to you whether you cut all your fabric in one go or cut your material as you need it.

Note: All your material should be washed and ironed before cutting it and all tracing of templates is done on the wring side of the fabric.

Using the 'material' template I place it on the wrong material and trace around the edges. I then move the template on the material and trace around it again. I try to be as economical with my fabric as I can by laying the templates side by side in much the same way I did for cutting out the card templates.
The quilt is made up of 36 hexagons each with 6 of both the A and B shapes and 6 half hexagons with 3 of both of the A and B shapes.
When cutting the fabrics I need to make sure that I cut enough of each fabric to make up a hexagon.
I am using 12 different colored blue fabrics and 12 different cream fabrics. I plan to make 3 hexagons from each of the colored blue and cream fabric. In addition I will use 6 of the blue and cream fabrics again to make up the half hexagons.
In total I will need to cut a total 234 pieces of blue fabrics using the A template and the same number of pieces using the cream fabrics for the B template.
Templates C and D are made from the same cream fabric which can be a repeat of any of the fabrics already used on the hexagons.

I have started cutting out my fabrics so once I have cut them all out will start tacking the fabric onto the card templates.