Saturday, June 12, 2010

Material cut

It has taken me a while but I have finally cut out all of my material ready to be sewn onto the card templates.

For Lachlan's quilt I have chosen 12 different light and dark blue fabrics and 9 different white/cream fabrics.

As I need a total of 216 pieces of fabric for template A I have cut 18 pieces from each of the 12 different blue fabrics.

I need the same number of cream fabrics for template B so I've cut 24 triangles from each color.

Tacking material onto templates.

I use a contrasting or bright color cotton to tack my material onto my card templates. I just find the bright color easy to see when it comes time to take the card out of the blocks. Choose a needle with a sharp point for tacking as this will make pushing the needle through the card much easier.

The most important part of tacking the fabric onto the cards is making sure that you get the corners as firm as you can. This is especially important when tacking the fabric onto the triangles. If the corners aren't firm against the card the pieces will not fit into the block as they should.
Hand stitching allows you some leeway when sewing your pieces together. You can gather or stretch the fabric to fit to some degree but too much of this will make the blocks uneven and they will not fit together as easily.
Back and front of template A



Back and front of template B